SAP has become the leader in ERP software par excellence. after being founded by former IBM employees. Since then, SAP, or “Systems, Applications, Products in Data Processing”, offered solutions adapted to any field of business management.
What Is SAP?
SAP is a computerized management system that makes possible the comprehensive management of the different human, productive and logistical resources efficiently. Therefore, it has software that can house different modules to integrate each of the most important aspects and their actions.
The SAP program stands out for covering administrative needs and providing the necessary management tools to make a company more competitive. We are talking about a leading software for ERP (Enterprise Resources Planning).
How Does SAP Work?
SAP’s main purpose is to offer information by compiling it and generating databases to make decisions. Thanks to the correct implementation of the data, we will have a real flow of information about what is happening at all times, obtaining total control over the company’s performance and the factors that affect it.
SAP is an ERP software that is based on three essential characteristics :
- It is a custom-tailored system. It offers infinite possibilities of adaptation to the needs of each client and type of business. Despite the unforeseen costs you may incur in implementation, customer needs are often positively met, especially in midsize businesses.
- It is a canned system. SAP is understood to meet the needs of today’s market on a broader level. Companies acquire a canned ERP tailored to the identified needs, marketed through different software licenses.
- Use an open-source system. SAP is based on a set of programs that require open programming codes. The software requires the management of large amounts of data, which it analyzes and provides agility in the determination of processes. SAP offers customer-modifiable open-source code by using an ABAP programming language. The ABAP language is simple, adapted to multi language environments, and easily programmed to set targets and monitor events.
What Applications Does The Company’s ERP Have?
SAP has a system of tables that stores the company’s data and that are crossed so that the specialist can make decisions according to all the information. This ERP is widely used in different companies and sectors, both private and public. SAP applies to every one of the administrative control areas of the company, thanks to the use of its different modules:
- SD or Sales and Distribution module. Thanks to this module, the person in charge will manage sales and distribution to the client in a clearer way.
- MM or Materials Management module. The SAP module is oriented to the management of stocks, invoices, and everything related to the product to be sold.
- PP or Production Planning module. He is in charge of managing the entire manufacturing process of the products that the company sells.
- HR or Human Resources module. Thanks to this area, the SAP consultant can direct the company’s human resources more clearly and effectively.
- CO or Controlling module. The person in charge can better control everything that has to do with the costs and benefits of the additional purchase and sale operations.
Regardless of the combination of modules chosen and the configuration of each one, SAP can serve a wide range of companies and sectors. Whether we are talking about the public or private sector, the company provides software, among others, to sectors of:
- Raw materials, mining and agriculture
- gas and oil
- Building materials, clay and glass
- Consulting and software
- Sanatoriums and hospitals
Advantages And Disadvantages
SAP has three fundamental advantages, which give the ERP software great differentiation from the competition:
- Simplicity. It is easy to learn and use, which greatly facilitates the work of companies and their employees.
- Adaptability. Its open code and multitude of adaptations make it possible to cover the needs in a more personal way and mitigate errors more quickly.
- Update. The system stands out for its continuous updating, with new functionalities and bug fixes.
Perhaps the only negative factor is the high costs, sometimes unexpected and disproportionate when we talk about acquiring the necessary software and hardware to
Job Opportunities With SAP
The main job opportunity offered by knowing the software is an SAP consultant, who is in charge of implementing the different processes. Now, as a specialist in some area of your company, you can train to learn how to use the modules offered by SAP for managing your department,
The SAP consultant profile requires the following skills:
- Experience in the logistics area, purchases, sales, quality, maintenance.
- Experience in the area of production planning.
- Good configuration capabilities
- Understanding of business needs
- Documentation quality
- Foreign language training