Throughout 2020 we will be able to enjoy the advantages and possibilities of WIFI 6 Do you know what it is and what its improvements are for companies and Internet users? Learn more about the evolution of wireless networks and their possibilities in this post.
What Is WIFI 6
When we talk about WIFI 6 we are referring to a new standard for wireless networks, which was announced last October by the WI-FI Alliance, the body responsible for certifying devices that use WIFI technology and their interoperability. And that, as announced, will be operational throughout this year 2020.
In the same way, the announcement of WIFI 6 supposes a new way of naming the standards of wireless networks. In this way, WIFI 6 is the 802.11ax standard, which, in turn, will coexist with two other standards that also update its name: 802.11n and 802.11ac become WIFI 4 and WIFI 5, respectively.
These three standards will coexist throughout 2019, while the devices and routers are being updated towards the new possibilities of WIFI 6 that were presented last January.
What are the advantages of WIFI 6 for companies and Internet users
What are the advantages of this technology with respect to the standards that we used until now and why is it going to be key for the full development of 5G or the Internet of Things, among others? Schematically, we can point out that the advantages of WIFI 6 are:
- With WIFI 6, it reduces latency and provides a much superior experience in applications such as streaming, video calls, and shared desktop tasks.
- WIFI 6 allows simultaneous use of the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands (until now this was not real, but WIFI 5 was pulling WIFI 4 when connecting to the 2.4 GHz band), which will have a simultaneous connection of multiple devices, a key aspect for the development of the Internet of Things or its application in connected homes and workspaces.
- The data rate increases and goes from the 7 Gbps of WIFI 5 to the almost 10 Gbps that WIFI 6 will provide.
- Thanks to its 1024-QAM modulation, the bandwidth of WIFI 6 responds much better in scenarios of high information density and quadruples the possibilities of WIFI 5.
- Another advantage of WIFI 6 compared to previous standards is its lower electricity consumption thanks to TWT (Target Wake Time), a technique that reduces consumption. If you want to use Wifi 6 long with VPN services you can go for privacyinthenetwork.
- From a security point of view, WIFI 6 is fully prepared to support the WPA3 protocol that will make your wireless connection much more secure.
From the users’ point of view, one of the most significant advantages that WIFI 6 is going to bring them is its ability to combine several connections of different device models without reducing the speed or quality of the connection.
In the same way, from the point of view of companies, this new standard will be essential for the development of digitization processes, as well as the implementation of technologies such as 5G or the Internet of Things, which, thanks to this new standard, they will be much more operational and productive.
When will the first devices with this technology be available? According to forecasts, throughout this year, although in the case of Internet users, the marketing of the new routers will take place in the last months of 2019.
What we can already enjoy is the application of this new technology to mobile devices: In this way, the Samsung Galaxy 10 is one of the first smartphones that are already prepared to work with the new standard and be able to access all the advantages of this new advance, especially in terms of data access and download speed